This post includes affiliate links, for which we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase using our links. As an Amazon Associate, we can earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
Did Discord push to talk suddenly stop working on your computer?
It’s a common issue faced by many places for various reasons. If the push to talk is suddenly not working on your computer, then there are multiple fixes to make it work again.
In this article, we will discuss eight fixes to the Discord push to talk not working issue. To make the most out of this guide, move through all the fixes listed, and find one that works for you.
Common Reasons for Discord Push to Talk Not Working
Like all tech issues, we can’t point out one specific reason behind Discord Push to talk not working. Different people faced the issue in different circumstances.
A few common reasons for Discord push to talk not working are:
- Discord Website: push to talk feature is not available on the Discord website. Switching to the Desktop or mobile application can fix this issue.
- Hardware issues: hardware related issues like incompatible hardware can also cause the push to talk not working error.
- Keybinds Settings: using wrong or incomplete keybinds can also result in the push to talk not working.
- Audio Drivers: outdated or damaged audio drivers can cause all sorts of voice-related issues including the push to talk not working.
- Administrative Rights: running another application (like a game) alongside Discord with higher access privileges can result in the push to talk not working.
Fix 1: Switch to The Discord Application
A major reason why people suddenly face Discord push to talk not working is when they switch to the Discord website. This issue happens because the Discord website does not provide a push to talk option. It’s available only in the desktop and mobile application versions of Discord.
To switch to Discord desktop application:
- Go to Discord’s official page.
- Click on Download for windows.
- Open the DiscordSetup.exe file from the Downloads and install the application.
Now, try using the push to talk feature again and see if it’s working. Otherwise, recheck the external factors like the mute settings and audio peripheral devices.
Fix 2: Recheck The External Factors
In any voice-related issue, before going forward, it’s always important to check a few basic things first.
Here’s a checklist of external factors that may make discord Push to talk not working:
In most voice-related issues, whether it’s Discord push to talk not working, Discord audio not working, or Discord mic not working, peripheral devices are the issue. Let’s get that out of the way first.
To check if your peripherals are causing the Discord Push to talk not working issue:
- Start with unplugging your headset or mic and plug it in again.
- Turn off your Bluetooth and reconnect it.
- Switch to another headset or mic.
Also, try switching to a quieter place and use your computer’s default speakers and mic.
These are small, simple fixes but work in so many cases. If your issue is related to hardware, then this is the point where you will find out.
People often mute their computers and don’t realize it. Especially if you’re using a laptop and accidentally pressed the mute button on the device.
I’ve personally gone through that once when I put Discord on mute without realizing it.
Another thing that can cause issues is if the mic and speaker settings are turned down. It means that your mic is working, but transmitting a very low sound. Check the volume mixer on the bottom-right corner to check the audio levels.
You probably have a lot of Discord servers.
You should check if the Discord push to talk not working is happening in a specific server or all of them?
If the problem is specific to one server, then channel permissions may be the issue. In this case, you should reach out to the server admin and ask him to enable voice permissions for you.
To enable voice permissions in Discord:
- Select the server (with the issues), at the top-left corner of the page.
- Inside the server room, under voice channels, click on the Settings (gear) icon in the left panel.
- Click on permissions in the left panel.
- Now, enable the following voice permissions:
Fix 3: Check Discord Voice and Video Settings
A new update for windows can override the drivers on your computer. this results in audio devices like mic or headphones not working.
A few basic fixes to resolve this issue are:
- Reselect the audio devices in Discord
- Try plugging the audio device into the USB port again
- If you’re using a wireless headset, then turn off the Bluetooth, and turn it on again
Let’s see how to check that.
Reselect Audio Devices in Discord
To reselect audio devices in Discord:
- Open user settings by clicking on the icon next to your profile Avatar.
- In the left panel navigate to the Voice & Video settings.
- In the input device dropdown, reselect the headset or mic you’re using.
Discord offers a very simple way to test if your microphone is picking up audio. To test your microphone audio:
- Click on the ‘let’s check’ button right under the input device dropdown.
- See if the indicator lights up when you’re talking, if it does then your mic is working.
Note: for optimal quality, the indicator should light up to 75% at a normal volume.
As an added measure, you can also toggle on the “show warning when this card is not detecting audio from your mic”. This option lets discord notify you when the mic is not detecting audio.
Fix 4: Verify Your Default Headset and Microphone
If you recently switched headphones (or mic), then the audio device might not be set as your default microphone.
To check your default audio device:
- Press the Windows key, type Sound Setting, and hit enter.
- Choose the input/output devices you’re using from the dropdown menu.
If the wrong device was selected before, then your issue should be resolved by now. If it isn’t, then
Fix 5: Run Discord as an Administrator
When you’re playing a game that’s running in the Administrative mode, then Discord push to talk keys will not be captured. This issue will not be resolved until we run Discord in the administrative mode too.
To run Discord as an Administrator:
- Close the current Discord window.
- Right-click on the Discord shortcut on your Desktop and select Run as Administrator.
Since Discord opens by default on startup, you may not have a shortcut on the Desktop. In which case:
- Press the Windows key, and type Discord in the search bar.
- Right-click on the top search result, and select Run as an Administrator.
Fix 6: Reset Voice Settings in Discord
Discord push to talk not working issue often happens after making changes in the Discord settings. You should reset the voice settings and confirm the keybind in the application
To reset Discord voice settings:
- Press the gear icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen to open settings.
- Click on Voice & Video from the left panel.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click Reset Voice Settings.
Fix 7: Confirm Your Keybinds
Discord allows users to set multiple keybind sets. You may be using an incorrect keybind. In this case, you need to ensure that you didn’t set Push to Talk and Push to Mute for the same keybind.
To confirm keybinds in Discord:
- Open the user settings by clicking on the gear icon at the bottom-left side of the screen.
- Select Keybinds in the left panel.
- In the keybinds windows, all keybinds are listed. Scroll through the list and check if:
- You’re using the right keybinds
- Same keybinds are not set for different actions.
Fix 8: Update Audio Drivers
If Discord Push to talk is still not working, then try using another application like Skype to make a call. If your mic is not working with Skype either, then there might be an issue with the audio drivers.
To update your audio drivers:
- Press the Windows key + R, and type “devmgt.msc”.
- In Device Manager, right-click on Microphone under Audio Inputs and Outputs, and select update driver in the dropdown.
- Now, click on “Search automatically for updated driver software.
Windows will automatically search your computer and the Internet for the latest audio driver software. If there are any available driver updates, then install the driver software and try the Push to talk feature on Discord again.
If you didn’t find any updates and Push to talk is still not working then try uninstalling any newly installed software from your computer.
Fix 9: Uninstall Any Recently Installed Software
If you recently installed a new software program, and Discord has been misbehaving ever since then this option is worth exploring.
A newly installed software may be conflicting with Discord and causing the Push to Talk error. In this case, uninstalling the software will probably bring Discord back to track.
To uninstall any recently installed software:
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- You should be able to see recently added programs at the top. Right-click on the software and select uninstall.
Important: If recently software is not showing in the Start menu then uninstall the software from Programs and Features.
- Press the Windows key + R and type “appwiz.cpl” in the window, and hit enter.
- Now, navigate to the newly installed program, right-click on the software, and select uninstall.
Repeat this process for all newly installed software programs.
After deleting them, restart your computer, and see if the Discord Push to Talk button is working.
Discord push to talk should be working by now! If it’s not, then try reaching to Discord Support to see if they can help.
Alternatively, it’s also possible that your headset is not compatible with the computer. The computer cannot catch audio, neither can Discord. This point is worth exploring if you recently switched your headset or mic.