Syncplay is an open-source Computer program that is compatible with multiple operating systems. It’s entirely free software. It supports multiple languages too. Most of all, it lets you sync video files even if you and your friend are on different networks!
To use Syncplay and synchronize a video on the VLC player on multiple computers, you need to:
- Run Syncplay.
- Choose a server and enter the server password (if any).
- Create a room inside the server and invite other participants to join the room.
Syncplay works with VLC, MPC-HC, MVP, and many other media players. But here, I am focusing on the VLC player. As VLC is another open-source, free program. So, let’s start.
But first, we need to install Syncplay. If you haven’t installed Syncplay yet, please follow our installation guide.
Table of Contents
Syncplay Installation Guide
Download & Install Syncplay
Syncplay is available on the syncplay website.
- First, visit syncplay.pl and choose your operating system. It will automatically start downloading.
- After downloading Syncplay choose your preferred language and press ok.
- Then agree to the terms and conditions.
- Lastly, choose the destination folder and tick on the desktop to find it easily.
- Click install, and it will try to take some time to install.
VCRUNTIME140.dll Error (Optional)
After the installation process, try to run Syncplay on your device. Sometimes it does not run on many Windows devices and shows an error message like this.
If it shows like this on your PC, don’t worry; your PC is completely fine. You just need to download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
You can find the download page here:
After installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, Syncplay should run on your device.
Now, let’s find out how to synchronize Syncplay with the VLC player. But first, download the VLC player from, if you don’t have it yet.
It’s completely free and safe to use. You can download it from videolan.org/vlc.
Synchronizing VLC Player On Multiple Computers Using Syncplay
Syncplay has a pretty easy user interface. So, it’ really easy and fun to use. Just follow the below steps to play videos on Syncplay.
Step 1: Configure Syncplay
- Open the Syncplay program. If you have followed our installation guide properly, then there will be a window like this after opening Syncplay.In some cases, Syncplay can’t detect the path to media player. In case that case, you need to click Browse and select your VLC player path manually.
- After selecting the media player path, you need to enter a server address. Don’t worry if you don’t have any servers. You can select any servers built-in with the software. Or you can make your own server.
- Then, you need to give your server password. If you selected any of the built-in servers, you don’t need to follow this step.
- Once you have given your server password, you can create a username. For example, I have given my username as Achellice.
- Now, create a default room for your friends. It’s pretty easy. Click on the pen icon. Type your room name and press ok. For example, I have created a room named ABCD.
- After That, Select your room. Be careful with the room name. Because your friends need to join the same room to sync videos.
- Once you are done with all the fillings, click Store configuration and run Syncplay. You will be directed to another window, and your VLC player will automatically start.
The configuration part is complete. Now to the syncing part.
Step 2: Configure It on Every Computer You Want to Sync
This part is pretty easy. You don’t need anything to do but tell your buddies/Colleagues to follow every step you followed.
Just remember, Your buddies need to choose the exact server and room number you chose. Otherwise, they won’t be able to join your room, and the syncing will no be possible.
Step 3: Drag and Drop the Video on Syncplay
After configuring all the computers. Now it’s time to enjoy the show.
It’s pretty easy too. If everyone is done with all the above parts, everyone will see a window like this.
Now, you have to drag the video file you want to watch on Syncplay. Remember, Syncplay does not offer any streaming services. So, every PC needs to have the same video file you want to sync. But it does not have to be in the same format.
After dragging a video file in the window, you will see it like this.
Everything is ready. Everyone click Join room; I am ready to watch! And Syncplay will sync videos on VLC player in all the computers.
If everyone follows all the above steps carefully, every PC will be able to binge-watch any videos on Syncplay remotely!
Syncplay is a great software. It will even allow you to Chat with every participant. You just need to type a message on the notification panel and click send.
Things to Keep In Mind
- Syncplay is a relatively new open source program. It’s still in progress. So, you might find some bugs. You can report it on their homepage.
- Video piracy is a crime. So we don’t encourage readers to play pirated videos on Syncplay.
- Syncplay might be considered malicious by Windows Scanner. But it happens because it’s available only on the Syncplay website, not on any certified store. Moreover, Syncplay is marked safe by jotti and VirusTotal.
- Don’t download Syncplay from any other source than the official website. Because it might be malicious.
Syncplay is a really cool software to use in this time of the pandemic. It’s open-source, free software, so the developers did not get paid for their amazing creation. But you can always donate some money if it’s possible. Donations will motivate the developers to make more cool software like this.