This post includes affiliate links, for which we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase using our links. As an Amazon Associate, we can earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
Discord keeps freezing error is among the top things that can ruin your game (and mood)!
If you’re the culprit of the Discord keeps freezing, then there are a few things you can do.
In this article, we will discuss all fixes to the Discord keeps freezing issue. Since there are many reasons why Discord keeps freezing, start at the top and try all fixes discussed in the list. The eight fixes addressed in the article include:
- Restart your computer
- Run Discord as an administrator
- Disable key bindings
- Disable hardware acceleration in Discord
- Turn on compatibility mode
- Delete Discord cache
- Switch to Discord application or website
- Reinstall Discord
Why do all my games keep freezing?
Discord keeps freezing for several reasons. For different people, in various scenarios, the underlying issue is unique. That’s why we can’t pinpoint an exact reason behind the Discord freezing issue.
Here are some common reasons why all your games keep freezing:
- Access privileges: another application (with higher access privileges) might be interfering with Discord. Running Discord as an administrator can help resolve the Discord keeps freezing error.
- Key bindings: key bindings are an easy way to make the most out of your keyboard. If two or more apps use the same shortcuts, you can run into issues like the Discord freezing error.
- Hardware acceleration: it usually improves performance but sometimes causes errors like Discord freezing. Disabling the feature can help in this case.
- Compatibility Mode: issues related to compatibility can also cause Discord to freeze.
Fix 1: Restart Your Computer
The first and most common solution that works in the Discord keeps freezing issue is restarting your computer.
Restarting the computer resolves a great many issues related to applications running on the computer. It’s especially useful if Discord is freezing because another application is creating a conflict. Restarting the computer will resolve the issue, and you can go back to enjoying the game!
In case you haven’t already, restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved. If you’ve already tried restarting, then move on to the next fix.
Fix 2: Run Discord as Administrator
Discord often keeps freezing due to access restrictions. Another application (with higher access privileges) might be interfering and causing Discord to freeze in the midst. The solution to this problem is running Discord as an administrator.
To run Discord as an administrator:
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Type Discord to search for Discord on your computer.
- Right-click on the Discord icon in the search results and select Run as Administrator.
Now, Discord will open and run as an Administrator. If the issue behind Discord freezing in your computer is due to access rights, this should resolve the issue. Otherwise, try disabling key bindings on your computer.
Fix 3: Delete Key Bindings in Discord
A major reason behind Discord keeps freezing issue is due to the key bindings. Gamers love key bindings as they make life so much easier. Disabling key bindings can resolve the Discord keeps freezing problem.
To disable key bindings on your computer:
- In the Discord application, click on the settings icon at the bottom-left corner of the page.
- Select Keybinds in the left panel.
- Hover over the key bind you want to delete and click on the cross icon at the top-right corner.
Delete all key binds following the same procedure. Restart the computer and see if Discord still keeps freezing. If it does, then it’s time to check the compatibility mode for Discord.
Fix 4: Disable Hardware Acceleration in Discord
To disable hardware acceleration in Discord:
- In the Discord app, click on the settings icon on the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Select Appearance in the left panel.
- Scroll down to the Advanced section and toggle Off Hardware acceleration.
- Press Okay in the following window to confirm.
Once you’ve turned Off hardware acceleration, Discord will automatically restart. If Discord keeps freezing after turning Off hardware acceleration, turn on the compatibility mode for Discord.
Fix 5: Turn On the compatibility Mode
If Discord keeps freezing after you’ve deleted key bindings, the issue may be related to the compatibility mode. Running Discord in compatibility mode (Windows 7) often resolves the Discord freezing keeps freezing error.
To run Discord in compatibility mode:
- Close the Discord application (if it is open).
- Locate the Discord shortcut, right-click on it, and open properties.
- If you don’t see a shortcut, press Windows key + R, type “shell:AppsFolder” in the dialog box, and hit enter.
- A new window will open with all applications on your system.
- Navigate to the Discord app icon, right-click on it, and select Create Shortcut.
- Click Yes in the popup window to create a Discord Shortcut on your Desktop.
- Now, right-click on the Discord icon on your Desktop and open properties (step: 02).
- In the properties window, open the Compatibility tab.
- Check the “Run this program for compatibility mode for:” option and select Windows 7 in the dropdown.
- Click Apply, then okay to save changes.
Open Discord again, and if it still keeps freezing, move on to the next step in the list.
Fix 6: Delete Discord Cache
Discord uses cache files to save user preferences and other temporary information. The cache component in an application is used about a dozen times in a single call.
If your Discord cache files are damaged or corrupt, they can cause Discord to keep freezing. You can resolve the Discord freezing error by deleting the Discord cache.
To delete Discord cache files:
- Close the Discord application (if it is open).
- Press the Windows key + R, type “%appdata%” in the dialog box, and hit enter.
- The App Data -> Roaming folder will open, locate to the Discord folder, right-click on it, and select Delete.
After deleting the folder, restart your computer and relaunch Discord. If corrupt or damaged cached files were freezing Discord, that should resolve the issue.
Fix 7: Switch to Discord Application or Website
Discord is available as an application and as a website. If you’re facing the Discord keeps freezing error in the application, then switching to the website might help, and vice versa.
Before switching to the website, clear your browser cache.
To clear your browser cache:
- Open browser settings.
- Search for ‘cache’ at the top search bar of the settings window.
Note: if you don’t see a search bar, press the ctrl + f keys to locate the search bar.
- In the search results, click on Clear browsing data in the Privacy and Security section.
- In the following window, open the basic tab, check Cookies and other site data, and then click on the Clear data button.
Now open the Discord website and see if it’s still freezing.
If you were using the website before, then download the Discord desktop application. If the issue remains, then move on to the next solution in the list.
Fix 8: Reinstall Discord
If you’ve tried all fixes in the list and still Discord keeps freezing, then reinstalling Discord might resolve the issue. You need to uninstall Discord to reinstall it.
To uninstall and reinstall Discord:
Windows key + R, type
appwiz.cpl, and hit enter.
- In the following control panel window, press D on the keyboard to locate Discord, right-click, and select uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
- Go to Discord’s official website (https://discord.com/) and click on download for Windows.
- Install the application using the installer.
If the Discord keeps freezing error remains after you’ve tried everything on the list, then it may be a hardware issue. You should try updating your hardware, especially if the games (you’re playing) need high-level hardware resources.