This post includes affiliate links, for which we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase using our links. As an Amazon Associate, we can earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
Steam is one of the most popular gaming platforms. It offers many Windows games and titles for free, but the fun’s ruined when you see an error when making a transaction.
The steam pending transaction error is a pretty common complaint. It means that your profile is showing,“your transaction cannot be completed because you have pending transactions from one or more items in your cart.”
When you check, and there are no pending items in your cart! It can be pretty frustrating not to be able to complete a simple transaction and play your favorite game.
In this article, we will discuss all fixes to the Steam pending transaction error. The fixes discussed in this blog post are:
- Check Steam server status
- Cancel pending payment requests
- Switch between Steam Client and website
- Use another payment method
- Disable VPN or proxy
- Check Steam region
- Check default currency settings
Why Am I Seeing Steam Pending Transaction Error?
To solve a problem, first, you need to understand the reason behind it. There may be several reasons why you see a steam pending transaction error.
Some common reasons for the Steam pending error are:
- An incomplete transaction in past
- The steam server is down
- Proxy or VPN
- Issues specific to your Steam profile
Fix 1: Check Steam Server Status
The first thing you must check when getting the Steam pending transaction error is to check the Steam server status. It’s unlikely that the Steam server is down, but it doesn’t hurt to make sure!
To check the Steam server status:
- Visit the official Steam link at https://steamstat.us. The website will show you the real-time Steam stats.
- You can check the Steam server status at Downdetector. Go to the website and type Steam in the search bar on the Home page.
- Click on Steam in the search results.
- Downdetector’s Steam server reports show two things:
- Current Server Status:
- Server Status in The Last 24 Hours:
- Current Server Status:
Fix 2: Cancel Pending Transactions
If the Steam server is up and running, head over to Account details and check for any past pending transactions.
To check and cancel pending transactions:
- Click on the Account Details option in your Discord app.
- Select the View Purchase History option that will show a list of all transactions you made on Steam.
- Click on any pending purchase and select the Cancel this transaction option.
- In the following popup, select Cancel my purchase.
- Repeat the steps for all pending transactions in your Steam account.
Restart your Steam client and see if the issue is resolved. If it’s not, then try using switching between Steam Client and Steam website.
Fix 3: Switch Between Steam Client and Steam Website
There are two available options for Steam users, Steam Client or the website.
If you’re purchasing something using the Steam Client, then switch over to the website (and vice versa). Try repurchasing the item and see if your issue is resolved.
Before switching between the Steam Client and website, clear your browser cache. Here’s how you clear your browser cache:
- Open your browser settings (in some browsers, Alt + P is the shortcut to open Settings).
- Type cache in the search bar in the Settings window.
- In the Privacy and Security section, click on Clear browsing data.
- In the next window -> basic tab, check Cookies and other site data, then on the clear data button.
- Open the Steam website, log in (again) and try to purchase the item.
On the other hand, if you were using the Steam website before, switch over to Steam Client and try purchasing it there.
If the issue remains, then move on to the next solution on the list.
Fix 4: Use Another Payment Method
In some cases, the Steam pending transaction error occurs when Steam does not support the payment method you’re using or an issue with the vendor.
If the issue is due to the payment method, you can resolve it by using another payment method.
An example of using another payment method is using your credit/debit card directly instead of using a third-party payment service like Paypal.
Fix 5: Disable VPN or Proxy
Using VPN or proxy can be a significant reason why you’re facing Steam pending transaction error. To avoid that, disable VPN and other proxy services before making a transaction on Steam.
To disable VPN or proxy services in your system:
- Right-click on the taskba, then select Task Manager in the menu.
- Go to the Startup tab in Task Manager, and right-click on the VPN service you’re using, and select disable.
Restart your computer, relaunch Steam, and try rebuying the item. If the issue remains, move on to the next fix on the list.
Fix 6: Check Steam Region
Steam servers are locatedin many countries around the world. It’s possible that you changed your server location at some point, which can cause the Steam pending transaction error.
Verify your Steam region and try making the transaction again.
Fix 7: Check Default Currency Settings
Every so often, Steam assigns a default currency to your account. Mostly, US dollars is the default currency. However, when you signin, the currency automatically updates according to your region.
When you have the account in another currency and try to make a purchase in US dollars, the bank blocks the transaction. It’s not a very occurrence, but you can check the default currency settings to make sure that it’s not causing the issue.
If you’ve tried all the fixes on the list and nothing worked for you, then there are two things you should do.
- Contact Steam support directly to understand the issue further and get help.
- In the meantime, wait and enjoy another game!