Rune Factory 4 Special, essentially a port and a slight remake of the original Rune Factor 4 from the 3Ds will be officially released on all mainstream gaming platforms (except the Switch, of course) next month. Yup, the game will now be coming to the Playstation, Xbox, and PC (Steam)!
What is Rune Factory 4 (Special) Again?
For a slight recap of this game, the main character is a prince/princess that lost his/her memories and starts living a normal life in the world that he/she was thrown into. The first order of advancement is developing the country. But, as with any Rune Factory title, players can also enjoy traditional RPG elements combined with farm simulation mechanics, all the while doing their best to improve the protagonist’s connection to the characters inhabiting the same world as him/her.
Lastly, much like its predecessor the Harvest Moon series, Rune Factory 4’s story also progresses past the marriage and family management stage, when players have properly completed the requirements to wed a character of their choosing to the protagonist.
New Stuff Introduced on the Switch Version
Naturally, the Nintendo Switch received an earlier port of the game, which was released in July 2019 for Japan, and February 2020 for North America and Europe. The enhanced version is, as you already know, Rune Factory 4 Special, and it provided several tweaks and improvements (mostly QoL stuff) that made the game more convenient to play:
- Newlywed mode – a new adventure mode that uses data with a married partner. This is a standalone RPG (new adventure) mode that adds voice acting and portraits to your chosen couple.
- More integrated touchscreen UI – basic menu buttons, for example, can now be accessed by simply tapping them on-screen.
- Additional cinematic sequences – a remake feature staple. Reintroduces certain scenes with additional cutscenes to make the overall narrative even more immersive.
- Auto-adjusted resolution quality – the 3DS only has a resolution of 800x240, which when blown up to the Switch’s 720p screen, would definitely look more pixelated than it already is. As such, the feature was added to make the game look nicer.
Playable on the big screen –
emulators aside, the dockable feature of the Switch allows players to enjoy Rune Factory 4 Special on a bigger screen, albeit on that aforementioned auto-adjusted resolution quality.
- Both Japanese and English audio are freely switchable – usually only limited to one or the other depending on what the main language of the version is released with.
- Physical cartridge available for international versions – the original Rune Factory 4 (3DS) was only available in digital format for North America and Europe. Rune Factory 4 Special became available in cartridges in both regions.
Upcoming Worldwide Release on All-Platforms
With the blessing of various publishers such as Marvelous, Natsume, and XSEED, Rune Factory 4 Special will finally debut on every major platform available, almost a decade after its original release. The exact date is December 7th for the PS4 and Xbox One versions, while the PC (Steam) version will have to wait at least a day later, on the 8th.
As hinted by the official title chosen for the port, most of the applicable upgrades made for the Switch version will also be available for these newer versions. Probably even some of the touchscreen features, if the hardware is applicable (on a Windows tablet, for example).
And speaking of hardware, here are the system requirements for Rune Factory 4 Special:
not that it’s going to be important to today’s PCs anyway given it’s originally a 3DS title)
- CPU: Intel Core i5-6400
- GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
- RAM: 8GB
- Disk Space: 5GB
- CPU: Intel Core i5-9300H (mobile)
- GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Max-Q (mobile)
- RAM: 16GB
- Disk Space: 5GB
Oh and, if it wasn’t hinted yet, all DLC available (especially the extra story ones) from all prior updates and versions of Rune Factory 4 (Special) will also be bundled for this multi-platform release.
Title: Rune Factory 4 Special
Release Date: December 7, 2021 (PS4/Xbox One), December 8, 2021 (PC)
Genre: Fantasy Life Sim Game
Official Game Page (Japanese): https://www.marv.jp/special/game/runefactory4SP/
Official Twitter (Japanese): https://twitter.com/runefactory_pr
Official YT (via XSEED): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aDA0K5k8UM
Distribution Format: Paid Title
Operating System: Xbox System, Orbis, Windows 10 and 11 (PC)
Copyright: Marvelous Inc.