Did you recently create a new server and are wondering how to add roles in Discord?
Discord servers can be a bit confusing for new users. It has too many options, permissions, and settings that you get perplexed.
In this article, we will discuss how to add roles in Discord, assign them to users, and delete them.
Table of Contents
What are Discord Roles?
Roles in Discord are jargons for permissions with names. The permissions in Discord are assigned on a server-level and in a particular channel within the server. A single user can have multiple roles, giving him/her elevated levels of access and privileges.
For example, @everyone is a default role that gives a wide range of essential permissions like send a message or talk on the server to all users.
There are a total of 29 permission in Discord split between general, text, and voice permissions.
We will review all permissions to help you understand and correctly assign them.
The general permissions in Discord administrator include:
- Administrator: this permission grants the member all permissions that exist on the server. This is the most powerful role on the server and must be assigned very carefully.
- View Audit Log: allows the member permission to read the server’s audit logs.
- Manage Server: allows the member permission to change the server name or region.
- Manage Roles: allows the member permission to create new roles and edit roles that do not have the Manage Roles permission enabled.
- Manage Channels: allows the member permission to create, edit, and delete channels on the server.
- Kick Members: allow the member permission to kick members from the server.
- Ban Members: allows the member permission to ban members from the server.
- Create Invite: allows the member permission to invite other members to the server.
- Change Nickname: allows the member permission to change their own nickname.
- Manage Nicknames: allows the member permission to change other user’s nicknames.
- Manage Emojis: allows the member permission to manage emojis on the server.
- Manage Webhooks: allows the member permission to create edit and delete webhooks.
- Read Messages: allows the member permission to read text messages on chat.
- Send Messages: allows the member permission to send messages on chat via text.
- Sent TTS Messages: allows the member permission to send a text to speech messages
- Manage Messages: allows a member permission to delete or pin messages from other members.
- Embed Links: Another member permission to invent hyperlinks in the chat.
- Attach Files: allows member permission to attach files in the chat.
- Read Message History: allows a member permission to scroll back and access previous messages.
- Use External Emojis: Allows the member permission to use emojis from another server, if they’re a Discord Nitro member.
- Add Reactions: allows the member permission to add emoji reactions to a message.
- Mention @everyone, @here, and All Roles: allows the member permission to use @everyone (everyone in the server) or @here (only online member on that channel). The @mention allows the user to mention anyone on the server, even if they have “Allow anyone to mention this role” settings disabled.
- Connect: allows a member permission to join voice channels and listen to other members.
- Speak: allows member permission to turn off another user’s permission to speak.
- Video: allows a user permission to share the video, screen share, or stream a game in the server.
- Deafen Members: allows the member permission to turn off another user’s ability to listen on the channel.
- Move Members: This allows the member permission to move other members from one channel to another.
- Use Voice Activity: allows the member permission to speak without using the Push to talk keybind.
- Priority Speaker: when this member is speaking, the volume of other users is reduced. Priority speaker is activated by using Push to talk keybind.
How to Create Roles in Discord
The first step towards adding roles is creating the roles. You can create kinds of roles like @guest, @leader, etc. you can assign more than one role to a single member.
Each role has the following:
- Set of Permissions
- Set of members
To create roles in Discord:
Step 1: Open Server Window
The first step towards creating a role is to log in to discord and open the server window where you want to create the role.
The server icons are located at the top-right corner of the Discord Home page.
Step 2: Open Server Settings
In the server window, click on your server name at the top-right corner of the page, and select Server Settings from the dropdown.
Step 3: Select Roles from the Right Panel
In the Server Settings, select roles from the right panel. You should see a Roles section on the right side with @everyone role.
Step 4: Add a Role
In the left panel, click on the plus (+) icon at the top-left side of the page (right beside Roles) to add a new role.
Step 5: Name The Role
Assign a name and color to the roles that describe what it does. For example, you’re adding a guest role that can perform basic operations like read message, send message, view channel, etc.
Step 6: Assign Permissions
The last step is to review and assign adequate permissions to the role. Scroll down the page, and toggle on the permissions that you want to associate with the role.
You can find separate sections for the General, Membership, Voice, and Text channel permission below.
Step 7: Save Settings
Settings are not automatically saved in Discord, so make sure to save the settings before closing the window. If you forget, Discord will show a dialog box to confirm the exit without saving.
To create a new role, repeat the same process, and assign various permissions to the new roles. You can grant moderate permissions to newbies and assign higher (and more) roles to more experienced players.
How to Create Roels in Discord Mobile
You can also create roles in discord via mobile. It’s a simple
Step 1: Select The Server
Open the discord application. From the left panel, select the server where you want to create the role. Click on the server name at the top-left corner to see options.
Step 2: Open Server Settings
Select settings from the options at the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Select Roles Settings
In the server settings window, scroll down and select the roles section.
Step 4: Add a Role
Click on the floating button at the bottom-right corner of the page to add a new role.
Step 5: Name The Role
In the role settings, Assign a name and color to the role.
Step 6: Assign Permissions to The Role
Now, scroll down in the role settings window, and assign permissions by checking boxes next to each permission.
Step 7: Save Settings
Don’t forget to save settings by clicking on the little floating button with a flopping disk on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
How to Assign Roles in Discord PC
Once you’ve created the roles in your Discord server, the next step is to assign roles to the users. We will explain the process of assigning roles in both Discord PC and mobile.
Here’s how you assign roles in Discord PC.
Step 1: Select The User
From the right panel, select the user to whom you want to assign the role.
Step 2: Assign Roles to The User
Click on the plus (+) icon under Roles and assign from the list of roles (or search for a specific one).
Alternatively, you can also right-click on the user and assign roles by selecting, Roles > New Role.
Important: you can assign as many roles as you want to a user.
How to Assign Roles in Discord Mobile
Step 1: Open Members in Discord Settings
Open the discord application and open the server settings. In the settings, scroll down and click on Roles.
Step 2: Select the Member
In the application window, select the username of the person you want to assign the role to.
Step 3: Assign Roles
In the next window, check the boxes next to each role that you want to assign to the user.
How to Edit Roles in Discord
If you created a role some time ago, and want to edit permissions now, then here’s how you do it. Open Server Settings > Roles as described in How to create roles in Discord heading.
Step 1: Select The Role
Tap on the role that you want to edit.
Step 2: Change Settings
In the left panel, edit settings as per your needs and click Save Settings.
How to Manage Roles in Discord
Managing roles is very easy. You can add, edit, and delete roles in Discord both through mobile and PC.
There’s no limit to the number of roles on your server. You can start with only two roles, @admin, and @everyone, and create more as the community grows.
On the left side of the server window, Discord displays a list of all users. Usernames will have the color of the highest role assigned to the user. For example, if the highest role assigned to the user has a red color, then the username will appear in red. Other users can easily identify various roles just by looking at the names of the users.
How to Delete Roles in Discord
It’s very easy to delete a role in Discord. However, deleting rules in discord is very rare. Instead, you can simply create a new rule or edit an existing one.
Here’s how you delete roles in Discord.
Step 1: Open Discord Roles Window
Go to Discord > Server > Server Settings > Roles to access the Roles settings.
Step 2: Right-click on The Roles to Delete
The roles are listed on the left side of the right panel, in the Roles window. Hover over the role you want to delete, click on the button with three dots, and select Delete from the dropdown.