For a gamer looking for something in the old chat, Discord search not working error can be frustrating.
The issue usually happens due to a problem with the Discord servers. If you’re using Discord on Windows 10, then the app should be showing a magnifying glass error.
In this article, we will discuss all fixes to the Discord search not working error. To make the most of the fixes, go through the complete list one-by-one. The fixes discussed in this blog post are:
- Check the Discord server status
- Updated Discord
- Check the Discord Troubleshooting page
- Restart your router
- Check your internet connection
- Switch to the website or application
- Switch devices
- Reinstall Discord
- Submit a support request
Table of Contents
Why is Discord Search Not Working?
Discord search issues are pretty common. However, there are only a few reasons why Discord search is not working.
Common reasons why Discord search is not working include:
- Server issues: issues with the Discord server is the most common reason for the search error. If there’s an issue with the server, there’s not much you can do but wait.
- Internet Connection: slow or inactive internet connection also means that Discord search will not work. You can try moving closer to the router or connect via the ethernet to resolve this issue.
- Discord update: a new Discord update can cause several small issues. Yoru can simply close and open the application to search and download updates.
Fix 1: Check the Discord Server Status
Discord, like all other apps, relies heavily on the servers. Especially if you’re searching for something.
If the servers are down for some reason, you will likely get a search not working error. Start by checking for Discord server status to make sure that it’s not a server-related issue.
To check Discord server status, go to Discordstatus and look for the green All systems operational sign.
The page is further divided into three sections:
Discord server uptime status
The server uptime section shows server issues in the last ninety days. Major server issues are indicated with a red line and minor ones with a yellow line.
The system matrics are presented in the form of a graph. It shows the API response time for today, the current week, and the current month.
If you’re curious about any past incidents, scroll down to see past incidents sorted by date. It also shows if the issue was investigated, monitored, and resolved.
Caption: recent past incident report of search downtime.
Fix 2: Update Discord
The first thing you should do in case Discord search not working is to update Discord.
Discord releases updates regularly and checks for them each time the application is launched.
Gamers often play for hours at a time, and the computer is constantly powered on. Especially laptops are never shut down, but simply put on sleep, and started later.
It’s possible that an update was released and it’s causing issues with search in Discord. In which case, updating Discord will solve the search not working issue.
To update the Discord application:
- Close the current Discord window.
- Relaunch Discord, and it will automatically check for updates.
Wait for Discord to update, and try searching for something again. If it’s still not working, then check the Discord website for problems.
Fix 3: Check the Discord Troubleshooting Page
The first thing to do when Discord search is not working is to check the source directly. If there’s an issue from Discord’s end, then there should be more information on the troubleshooting page.
To check the Discord troubleshooting page:
- Go to Discord’s official website.
- On the home page, scroll down and click on Support in the Resources section.
- On the Help Center page, select the FAQ section.
- In FAQ/ Troubleshooting, scroll down to the Known issues section.
If there’s an issue with the search, there should be more information about it there. If there isn’t, then the problem is probably from your end. Try the next fix on the list.
Fix 4: Restart Your Router
Discord search not working issue is mostly related to the network connection. If the issue is not from Discord’s end, then the next step is to check if it’s your home network.
If your router has been running for a long time without any breaks, then you may face certain connectivity issues. Restarting your router can fix connectivity issues, like slow wireless connection, and no internet connection.
Restarting the router once in a while is also a good practice in terms of network security.
If your issue is resolved after rebooting the router (and even if it is not), make a habit of restarting it once in a while.
Fix 5: Check Your Internet Connection
A slow or inactive network connection can also prompt the Discord search not working error.
On a smartphone, you can see the wifi signal strength on top of the screen. If they’re weak, move closer to the router.
On a computer, check the right end of the taskbar for the internet connection strength. If the internet is working, then it should look like this:
If the internet is connected and working, check your internet speed to see if it’s causing the issue with search.
To check the speed of your internet connection:
- Go to fast.com and check your internet speed.
- The website takes a few seconds to check and shows your internet speed in Mbps.
If the internet speed is slower than usual, then try connecting your computer directly with the router via ethernet cable. Wired connections are relatively faster than wireless connections.
Fix 6: Switch to the Website or Application
Discord is available as a desktop application and website. If you’re facing search issues in the Discord application, then switching to the website might help, and vice versa. Try searching again and see if the issue is resolved.
Fix 7: Switch Devices
Switching between devices is another solution that often works when Discord search is not working. If you were working on a PC before, switch over to the mobile app and vice versa.
Fix 8: Reinstall Discord
If none of the reviewed fixes solved your issue, the Discord server is up and running, and search is not a Known issue, then your Discord files might be damaged or corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling Discord on your computer will fix this issue.
To uninstall Discord:
- Press the Windows key + R, type “appwiz.cpl” and hit enter.
- In the following control panel window, click on the Discord icon, and select uninstall.
After uninstalling the application, restart your computer and reinstall Discord.
To reinstall Discord:
- Go to the Discord website and click on download for Windows.
Install the application using the downloaded file, and try searching for something again.
Fix 9: Submit A Support Request
We have tried all fixes to the Discord search not working issue. If you still can’t search in Discord, then it’s time to submit a support request.
Submitting a support request will probably not resolve your issue right away, but it’s the most effective solution. Mostly, search issues are related to the application and server, and there’s no one better equipped to solve this than the Discord support team.
To submit a support request in Discord:
- Open the Discord website and select Support on the top bar.
- On the Help Center page, click on Submit a request from the menu.
- On the following page, use the Submit request form to send a support request to the Discord team.
Now wait patiently, someone from the support will get in touch with you. If there’s an issue from Discord’s end, then it will also be resolved in no time!
If your query is urgent, and the issue is still unresolved, then try manual searching. It’s a tedious and hard task but gets the job done.