This post includes affiliate links, for which we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase using our links. Learn more.
There is a different type of headphones for every use. This is why it is important to analyze the context in which they will be used before purchasing them.
Aside from the so-called earphones, light and universal, which are often supplied with the mp3 player, smartphone, tablet, the main type of headphones are as follows:
- In-ear headphones, compact and light, differ from the earphones because they fit inside the external auditory canal and are supported by the same. Lately, they are the most used headphones because they offer the advantages of portability and lightness of the earphones and the passive soundproofing of the external headphones.
- On-ear headphones offered in various shapes and materials that determine their bulk and heaviness; they present a support structure for the pavilions that house the “speakers” and a passive soundproofing system with external noise that may be more or less effective depending on the category to which they belong, determined by construction and type of use.
- Over-ear headphones, also known as circumaural headphones, completely surround the auricle by wrapping it inside. The comfort level is the best among the various models, thanks to large padded pavilions that reduce pressure on the ear to a minimum. The dimensions are more generous than on-ear models, and for this reason, they are not very suitable for mobility. Over-ear headsets can be circular or elliptical and offer excellent sound insulation.
Circum-aural models, which once worn completely surround the ears, in turn, can be defined as “open” or “closed” headphones precisely to emphasize the degree of isolation to and from the external environment. The alternative is models defined supra-aural, which simply rest on the ear and which remain open.
The headsets are very large, so large that they completely wrap around the ear without squeezing it; this makes it possible to use them even for many hours in a row, an important factor for those who use them for work.
The advantages are mainly two: the ease of use, which concerns both not having the ear always “crushed”, and avoiding sweating, and the excellent sound insulation that can be achieved when wearing them. In fact, leaving no space between the outside and the ear, because they rest on the temple and on the neck, they also allow, in a passive way (therefore without active noise reduction), to block almost all external noises, thus allowing a professional use.
They are also sought after for having excellent audio quality from those involved in gaming or those who want to listen to TV or Hi-Fi systems in an excellent way.
1. Beyerdynamic Amiron – Best Over-ear Wireless Headphones
The new Beyerdynamic Amiron wireless, which comes with the MIY app and the customization of its sound on the circumaural Bluetooth wireless headphones. These are closed headphones with drivers based on Beyerdynamic Tesla technology, able to offer a response in frequencies from 5-40,000 Hz, with an impedance of 32 ohms. As mentioned, they are a Bluetooth headset and offer support for high-quality wireless audio streams. They showcase a touch pavilion for the remote control of the music player and for adjusting the volume.
The Amerd Wireless Beyerdynamic are the wireless headphones with the best audio quality. The sound is spacious, rich in details and will inspire you to savor the music you listen to like never before. Their sound quality is praised by all their costumers, one of the many reasons why these are the best over-ear wireless headphones.
Design and Comfort
The headphones are born to be very comfortable and to offer well-presented bass and have a powerful dynamic. Among the fine details, we find the padded headband. They weigh 380 grams and have 100dB sound pressure. The price places them in the medium-high range.
- Excellent comfort and build quality
- Detailed, dynamic and spacious sound
- The sound quality is the best on the market
- High-end design
- Not ideal for travelers
- Quite big
2. Sony MDR-ZX770BN – Over-Ear Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
The Sony MDR-ZX770BN are digital noise-canceling headphones (active noise canceling), ideal for those who want to listen to music everywhere and especially in noisy environments such as pubs, bars, streets or while on a vehicle, on trains and buses.
They showcase a wide acoustic performance, so they are ideal for rhythmic pieces, and have a solid and comfortable structure with excellent padding, in fact, they guarantee excellent stability. Moreover, they are equipped with NFC technology which allows for the elimination of cables and, in the case where there are no devices with integrated NFC, it is possible to associate the devices manually thanks to Bluetooth.
They can therefore also be used to answer calls, keeping your hands free thanks to the use of the integrated microphone and thanks to the association of the phone with the Bluetooth headsets.
Design & Comfort
Their structure is very durable. For the padding of the pavilions, a very soft leather was used. The pavilions are extremely enveloping and will cover completely your ears, ensuring perfect sound insulation.
The ear cushions are comfortable and soft, in fact, they adapt to every shape of both ears and head, exactly like the headband, where there is a sliding option made of stainless steel to guarantee adaptability but above all, resistance.
The bow is therefore adjustable and adheres perfectly to the head; on each pavilion, we have different commands that allow you to manage the volume of the music or to answer calls. Activation of the main function of the headphones which is the noise canceling function is also selectable. Finally, the weight is just 250 grams, which makes this headset extremely light and comfortable to carry around.
First of all, the frequency response spectrum goes from 8Hz to 22000Hz, thus guaranteeing a rich acoustic spaciousness that allows you to listen to even lower frequency sounds, ideal for very rhythmic songs that require the simultaneous use of multiple musical instruments.
The ultra-light 40mm-diameter high-dynamic drivers, made with neodymium magnets, ensure sharpness and quality in listening to music, provided, however, that the tracks being played are of the same quality. Moreover, the headphones are very sensitive and have an acoustic pressure equal to 100 db/mw when using the cable and 98 db/mw when using them without their cable, and this feature guarantees a remarkable sensitivity for a strong and clear sound.
The extrinsic impedance is 23 ohms and allows greater listening volumes for the same dissipated power. Their main feature, however, remains the digital noise cancellation that eliminates the most intense noises and therefore allows you to be concentrated and at the same time immersed in the music you are listening to; every time you set it, perfect sound insulation is ensured.
In case you have set the noise cancellation and you want to talk to your neighbor, just place the palm of your hand on the right earpiece and the level of music you are listening to will be lowered by 10%.
- Wide spectrum of frequencies. The lowest frequency is 8 Hz while the highest is 22KHz
- Excellent impedance of only 23 ohms which ensures greater listening volumes with less dissipated power
- Significant connectivity also thanks to the NFC function, defined by Sony “One Touch Listening”: the connection of the devices to the headphones is achieved thanks to a simple approach
- Possibility of connection also for non-NFC devices, thanks to the Bluetooth connection. The latter guarantees coverage of 10 meters but in general, being used with smartphones and mp3 players. Furthermore, the Bluetooth connection does not affect the sound quality compared to the connection with the cable supplied
- The headphones’ structure is very resistant and adaptable to multiple head and ear sizes.
- The price is intended for a medium-high market range
- The power supply ensures a level of autonomy of just 13 hours
- Standard accessories and shape: not a very particular design, which makes the headphones susceptible to knocks.
3. Sony WH1000XM3 – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones for Working Out
The Sony WH-1000XM3 are Sony’s latest high-end Bluetooth headphones.The company promises that costumers will not only find a great sound quality but also a substantial improvement over the previous model (WH-1000XM2) in terms of noise-canceling, up to the addition of a function that optimizes the sound based on the change of air pressure, so as to obtain the best audio experience even at 3000 meters.
Also, in this case, the target group of these headphones seems to be sports enthusiasts, travelers, and young adults; these certainly are the best over-ear headphones for the gym
Design and comfort
Available in black with copper or silver, the design of the XM3 is similar to the XM2, but it has been slightly retouched. Rather than metal, the product now is partially made in faux leather, presenting a slightly less industrial appearance. Furthermore, it is 20 g lighter.
On the left pavilion, there are a couple of buttons to control the noise-canceling mode and turn the headphones on and off. The reproduction and volume controls are provided by gestures on the right pavilion, as in the previous generation.
Even if these gestures take some time to take the hand, double-tap to play/pause and swipe in various directions to skip tracks and increase volume, give a very sober aesthetic to the headphones.
A USB Type-C port is located at the bottom of the right earpiece, while the 3.5mm jack is located on the left if you don’t want to use Bluetooth.
At the same time, the sound is very well balanced. The bass never exceeds the other frequencies, and the highs, particularly in the voices, are never hard and hissing.
- The comfort of the headphones has been improved from previous models
- The sound is well balanced: it is not distorted: the highs are never hard or hissing
- High competitive product within its price range
- Long-lasting autonomy and short recharging time.
- Best over ear bluetooth headphones for gym
- A few costumers have complained about a blinking light on the headset
- The google assistant was referred to as inefficient in certain occasions
- The quality of calls performed with the headset’s integrated microphone isn’t the best: the voice could sound distorted and the volume isn’t very high.
- The headset lacks an on-ear sensor
- Some costumers have complained about the ineffectiveness of the sound-cancelling mode.
4. Jabra Elite 85H Wireless – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones for Running
Jabra Elite 85h is a pair of headphones with active noise reduction that defies the hegemony of the Sony WH-1000 XM3. They are characterized by an excellent build quality, good sound and above all an exceptional autonomy that reaches almost 35 hours of reproduction. Interesting features, especially considering the price.
Certainly, there are some flaws, among which a weight higher than the average and a system of controls that could be uncomfortable in the long run, but there are also several points in favor that could convince you to give them a try.
One of the best features of this product is the fact that they are water-proof, therefore can be used out of the house: perfect for sport fanatics and runners!
Design and comfort
The Jabra Elite 85h are made of plastic, with an internal metal structure for the bow and a cover in fabric. Materials that give a good feeling of general solidity. The inside of the headband and the pavilions are covered in faux leather – of good quality – which does not heat up too much even during the hottest days and with a very soft padding that guarantees good general comfort.
The mechanism for adjusting the width of the pavilions is very precise, flowing on a slide in a fluid manner and without having to exert excessive pressure. The pavilions rotate 90 degrees and can be folded so as to take up less space when not using the headphones.
On the left pavilion there is a button that allows you to change the noise cancellation mode among the three available, while on the right another button allows you to recall the voice assistant, or Siri, Alexa or Google Assistant, depending on your preferences. There is also a 3.5mm aux jack and the USB-C input for charging.
On the lateral side a central button allows to manage the reproduction, while two other buttons regulate the volume.
There are two 40 mm drivers inside the pavilions, which allow you to reach a very good sound quality, with warm tones and excellent depth.
Obviously, the possibility of equalizing the audio allows you to adjust the reproduction according to your favorite genres and tastes, and they work well with any genre. In some situations, you can notice some slightly subdued bass compared to other headphones of the same price-range.
The quality of the microphone is good during calls, even if some costumers found a rather low volume of the voice of their interlocutors that in some situations forced them to remove the headphones and use the speaker of the mobile phone instead.
- Excellent comfort and good materials
- Compatible with all voice assistants,
- The app that goes with it is very simple to use
- Great sound quality
- Excellent noise-cancelling technology
- Lower price than competitors
- Resistant to water
- The power on and off system can be uncomfortable in some cases
- it does not support advanced audio codecs
- the microphone is not among the best on the market
5. Sennheiser RS 165 – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones for Work
The Sennheiser RS 165 are wireless headphones with a closed circumaural design. It is a model oriented towards a high-end market segment, so it must meet high standards in terms of quality. Let us not forget, however, that Sennheiser truly represents excellence in its sector, with over 70 years of experience behind it, with many successes and patented innovations brought to the field.
This aspect is fundamental both for experienced audiophiles and for those who are just starting to approach the sector. Sennheiser wants to channel their experience towards efficiency and innovation.
The Sennheiser RS 165 embody all these aspects of the German company. The fact that they are closed back makes them perfect to bring to the office, because the noise won’t bother your co-workers.
Design & Comfort
These headphones want to be a synonym of comfort, starting from the soft pads placed both on the pavilions and on the bow. The idea of headphones proposed with the RS 165 is that of a device not only soft and suitable for long listening sessions, but also practical. This is why the controls for the headphones are placed on the pavilion, with an intelligent design which includes three large easily controllable buttons.
In terms of materials, mostly leather and plastic, they leave the user with excellent tactile feedback and do not feel unstable. The ergonomics aspect is also satisfactory for most of the costumers.
These headphones were born in particular for those who want to use headphones for work.
The audio remains very good even at a distance of several meters (these headphones respond up to 30 meters, not excessive distance if we consider that many headphones even exceed 100 meters), but we must emphasize that some have had some problems overcoming the 15 meters in terms of hiss and distortion.
Thanks to the particular circumaural and closed design, moreover, the ambient noise is reduced to the bone, so these headphones are also very well suited to those who use them to reduce noise. The extra bass function is provided with the “Bass Boost” mode to implement the bass: keep an eye on using it during movie sessions, as the risk is of having distorted dialogues.
- Comfortable controls with large buttons, which allow easy maneuvering of the headphones
- Bass Boost function that implements the bass
- Very clean sound quality
- In Bass Boost mode the dialogues are castrated
- Some problems when you are over 15 meters away from the transmitter
6. JBL E50 BT – Cheapest Over-Ear Wireless Headphones
JBL has entered the Bluetooth headset market and among its most interesting products are the JBLE50: a pair of on-ear headphones with microphone, integrated controls and folding design. They have 32mm drivers that ensure excellent bass reproduction, a 20-20,000 Hz frequency response and 11 hours of autonomy.
They are equipped with both noise-canceling technology and Share-me technology: the latter allows you to listen to the same content on another headset with the same function. Users who have decided to buy these devices have however found some issues, such as the lackluster bass reproduction and the material of the headphones themselves which in fact reduces their comfort
Design and comfort
The design of this model differs first and foremost for the ear pads that embrace our ears, allowing a more effective sound diffusion.
Also, they do not need any wire, that compromise the handling of the product; and above all they can be used compatibly with your smartphone: it is possible in fact to answer a phone call by pushing a button and listening to the voice of our interlocutor through the headphones.
These headphones produce high-quality audio, and they emit the JBL Pure Bass sound. Furthermore, a pair of 32 mm drivers reproduce powerful and deep bass.
Thanks to the lightweight, solid and foldable design of the JBL headphones, you will experience excellent listening comfort and you will fold and store them in the bag without problems after using them
- They weigh only 145 grams and are also a relatively new model.
- They showcase the JBL Pure Bass sound: super powerful bass without sound distortion; clean sound!
- The controls for both volume and incoming calls are located on the ear as well as the microphone.
- They can be carried easily thanks to the fact that they can be folded; they are also light and compact.
- The drivers are 32 mm, the pavilions are very comfortable and soft, they do not tighten the ears even after many hours of use.
- This model is available in several colors
- In the package you will find the warnings card, the charging cable, the warranty card and the QSG safety data sheet.
- the building materials are quite fragile
- the sound quality could be better, especially in terms of bass.
- Need to be handled delicately
7. Sennheiser HD 4-40 Headphones BT – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones under $100
Signature Sennheiser at an entry-level price. These headsets feature HD 4.40 BT, Bluetooth, minimal, compact but functional design. They represent an optimal choice for a low price range headset: their design and sound quality are in line with other Sennheiser products.
Design & comfort
The Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT headphones are unquestionably beautiful to look at and intuitive to use. Simple and strong lines, devoid of flashy elements, bright colors and useless attempts to seem “fashionable”.
The construction is a hybrid of plastic and leather. The selection of materials is impeccable, with every component being solid and durable. The auricles are particularly big and soft, with a hidden foam rubber layer that wraps around the ears.
The low end of the product’s sound is generally deep and powerful. The bass goes deeper than other headphones at this price. Perhaps they will not be appreciated by those looking for a clean and precise sound, but the basses are quite truthful.
The middle range of the headphones is well balanced, but not very precise. The “lower” mids are warm without becoming too muddy. The “highest” mids are cut off. The high range, on the other hand, is very well managed.
In addition to the frequency response, these headphones offer good stereo separation and don’t seem to distort sounds too easy.
Their autonomy is excellent: Sennheiser talks about 25 hours, and many costumers confirm this statement. The connectivity with smartphones and similar devices is guaranteed by Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and the aptX codec.
- Minimal design, excellent materials
- Fun, dynamic reproduction
- Codec NFC and aptX
- Autonomy of 25 hours
- Headband only slightly padded
- Sound performance not for purists
8. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones for Music
The Audio Technica is one of the most known products in the field of headphones. The Japanese company has, since 1962, tried to improve its products, in order to ensure customers an increasingly clean and crystal clear sound.
Today, the company has developed one of the best products on the market, the ATH-M50X model, appreciated by audiophiles around the world.
Design & Comfort
They are over ear headphones with a minimalist design and they do not look too classy. In fact, the Japanese company has always focused on sound quality rather than product elegance. Overall, the design is linear and standard, with no particular nuances or patterns.
The materials used for the construction of the product are of excellent workmanship, resistant and sturdy but at the same time soft and pleasant to the touch. The coatings of the pavilions and the bow do not cause discomfort to the skin, and instead, feel comfortable and smooth.
Being over-ear headphones, they tend to completely cover the ear and this produces excellent insulation for both the outside and the inside, which allows you to fully enjoy every little melody and frequency.
Although they are large, they are very light and weight about 280 grams distributed over the entire structure. This particular allows you to use them for long periods of time without creating discomfort and inconvenience.
The Audio Technica ATH-M50X has a 45 mm neodymium driver with an impedance of 38 ohms and a frequency response ranging from 15 to 28,000 Hertz. They do not need an external amplifier and can also be used with mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and MP3 players.
The sound is fairly flat and balanced, while still offering good performance on all frequencies. However, it must be said that perhaps the headset could do something more from the mid-high frequencies.
The advice, however, is to use them for semi-professional work such as mastering and mixing music, as they offer an excellent definition of sound.
If you want to use it for listening to music in your free time, the advice is to prefer genres like Rock, Rap, Hip-Hop and electronic tracks, to the detriment of genres that are very much based on medium-high frequencies such as Classical music and Jazz.
- Above average comfort and relaxation
- Excellent sound insulation
- Clear and balanced sounds
- Excellent value for money
- Adjustment system is a little annoying
- Medium-high frequencies could be treated better
- Best for Rap, Hip-hop, and electronic tracks
9. Bose SoundLink II Wireless – Best Over-Ear Wireless Headphones for Phone Calls
The Bose SoundLinks II stands out for the many features related to Bluetooth connectivity, which make these headphones extremely comfortable and fast to pair with many different devices. All together with this, it presents one of the best headphones’ microphones on the market. The price positions the Bose SoundLinks in a high end of the market, occupied by-products of excellent quality, both in terms of construction and audio.
In the packaging of the Bose Sound Links we find, in addition to the headphones, the USB cable for charging, a very simple auxiliary audio cable and a beautiful semi-rigid case for carrying headphones.
These are the best Bluetooth headphones for conference calls.
Design & Comfort
The design of the Bose SoundLinks II may leave perplexed those who are very attentive to the look and look for products that stand out. These headphones, in fact, have a serious, very classic look, but certainly they immediately look like a product made with extreme care and with high quality materials: nylon reinforced with fiberglass and stainless steel.
The headphones present minimal padding in the lower part, but in practice proves to be very comfortable and guessed in dimensions. The pavilions have padded leatherette pads, the only discordant note of the Bose Soundlinks II.
Given the price and quality of the materials used for the supporting structure, it is reasonable to expect more from an important component when it comes to comfort, but it must be said that it looks like a quality leatherette and therefore destined to last over time and limit heat, since this material tends to generate in long listening sessions. But as soon as you wear them, the Bose SoundLinks prove to be really comfortable.
The lightness combined with a structure that does not push on the ears gives these headphones a high level of comfort. The sound insulation is good, even at low volumes.
The Bose SoundLinks II, make wireless connectivity and Bluetooth pairing functions one of their strengths and rightly so. Headphones can be paired to our devices in 3 different modes, all very efficient. With devices equipped with NFC technology, just touch the right pavilion with the device to establish the connection, or you can use the convenient app that comes with it to switch from one device to another.
Finally, the automatic connection: the Bose SoundLinks memorize the last two connected devices. It, therefore, becomes easy to pair headphones with a multimedia player and a smartphone, all at the same time and automatically as soon as the headphones are turned on.
On the right pavilion, there are controls for both the music player (volume and track progression), and for calls. The voice assistant, which is very handy, even reads the name of who is calling if present in the phone book. The rechargeable battery is very performing and allows wireless use of the headphones for up to 15 hours.
First of all, praise must be given to Bose for the sound quality of the built-in microphone, which is truly excellent. Our caller will be able to enjoy a clean signal and a clear voice without any distortion.
Turning to sound quality in listening to music, the Bose SoundLinks do not disappoint, but certainly compared to headphones of the same price range, they are less efficient overall, especially in terms of dynamics and details. The balance of the frequencies is excellent, with very natural bass, clean and enveloping mids and crystal clear and never shrill highs. Excellent resistance to distortion, even at rather high volumes.
- Excellent materials, which make the headphones durable and resistant.
- Very comfortable and light, they can be worn for hours
- Efficient Bluetooth pairing system, which allows them to memorize the two last used devices, and to connect to the devices easily
- Long battery life: the headphones can be used for hours non-stop
- Microphone is highly performing, one of the best on the market.
- A little anonymous design, which does not make the headset appealing if compared to others in the same price range.
- Padded leatherette pads, which could heat up in time and feel uncomfortable on the skin.
- Sound quality lower than headphones in the same price range, which is why we recommend them for long calls rather than listening to music.
10. Bose 700 – Best Professional Over-Ear Wireless Headphones
The Bose Noise Canceling 700, are bluetooth headphones with a modern and simple design. Once worn they are very comfortable and light since they only weight 250g and feature excellent padding.
Equipped with one of the best noise cancellation systems being able to isolate yourself completely from the external environment. They have an autonomy of 20 hours and the audio quality is one of the best on the market.
All of these factors makes them perfect for long work hours.
Design and comfort
The headset has simple but modern lines.
The case that will store your Bose 700s when not in use, is robust and not bulky. In this model, the piece that holds the two pavilions together has also been improved, in fact once worn they do not apply any pressure on the head.
A new noise cancellation system called NC chip has been installed in the headset, which is equipped with a microphone and 11 noise cancellation intensities.
The level 0 in truth does not completely disable the cancellation of the noises, but it is a slight isolation that allows you to listen to the external environment, instead, the level 10 is the maximum level that you can have of sound insulation.
They are available in black and silver, with a structure without visible hinges.
The sound quality is very good, they have a nice boost on medium and high frequencies that remain detailed.
High-frequency performance helps eliminate external noise, adding clarity to reproduction.
Thanks to the use of quality speakers, they offer a lively and well-balanced sound, in fact no distortion is perceived, even at high volumes.
The synthesizers sound warm and sweet, so as to offer a complete sound experience.
As I said before, they are equipped with eight microphones that can capture all the sounds coming from the outside and eliminate them completely.
You can set the noise reduction level on different levels, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
The audio quality remains very good also during calls, in fact, the voice is very clear and all the sounds coming from the outside will be eliminated.
- Excellent noise cancellation
- Successful design
- Intuitive touch controls
- Very bright and direct sound
- Challenging price
- In terms of audio, many competitors’ products result to be better.
Although it may seem strange to neophytes, each Bluetooth headset has its own personality, which is expressed both in terms of design and sound quality. There are more suitable products for home listening, those perfect for traveling and listening to music on the move, and others still with great versatility, useful in all conditions and for any type of audio content.
To try to establish some fundamental parameters related to your choice, we have put some of the most important features to consider, so you can find the desired product among the best Bluetooth headphones on the market.
Design: those who want wireless headphones often need a light and comfortable product, so they make their decision also based on the weight and size of the product. These same factors are also decisive for portability, so it is always right to control them: if you want to use headphones at home or in the office you can count on a wide range of over-ear headphones, while if you like wearing them even when you are around the city or on transport means it would be better to focus on more compact products, such as on-ear products.
Sound: the main feature of a headset lies in the technical features that ensure the effective quality of the sound. The main ones are impedances, sensitivity and frequency response:
Over-ear headphones are sought after particularly for the sound quality they reproduce. The impedance measurement offers a good meter to decipher the sound quality that also depends on the source that produces it.
Among the products listed, you’ll certainly find one with the right combination of factors for your needs.